Frequently Asked Questions - Elections

The University of Toronto Act, 1971 defines the membership of the five constituencies (student, teaching staff, administrative staff, alumni and Lieutenant Governor-in-Council appointees) that represent the membership of the Governing Council. The Election Guidelines require that a member of the Governing Council be a member of the constituency which they represent.

Consult the Governing Council web-site (, or contact the Governing Council Office by email at

An individual must obtain the signatures of a defined number of Nominators from the same constituency as described in the Election Guidelines 2022. Nominees may provide a candidate statement of 100 words or less which will be provided with the ballot in the election.

Constituencies are defined in the Election Guidelines 2022 which are available on the Governing Council elections website or from the Office of the Governing Council. You may also contact the Chief Returning Officer by email ( ) or the Deputy Returning Officer by email ( for information regarding constituencies.

The Call for Nominations is broadly distributed within the University community, and will also be noted on the Governing Council web-site when the nomination period opens. (

During the Nomination period, electronic nomination forms are available online on Governing Council web-site:

Nominations for student, administrative staff and teaching staff seats on the Governing Council will be accepted between 12:00 noon, Monday, January 10, 2022 and 5:00 p.m., Friday, January 21, 2022.

Application forms for alumni governor positions on Governing Council will be available as of 12:00 noon on Thursday, November 18, 20201. The deadline to submit an application is Thursday, December 16, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. For information on the application and election process, please go to the College of Electors website listed here:

Information about the 2022 voting period and procedures are provided in the Election Guidelines 2022. To view the Guidelines, please go to the Governing Council elections website listed below:

Yes. If you are a member of the administrative or teaching staff with a primary appointment at the University of Toronto Mississauga (UTM) or the University of Toronto Scarborough (UTSC), or if you registered as a student at those campuses, information on elections for seats on the UTM and UTSC Campus Councils and their Standing Committees.

You may also apply to be considered for a position as a co-opted (appointed, non-Governing Council) member of a Board or Committee.

The Academic Board, Business Board, and University Affairs Board each have co-opted members. Co-opted members of the Academic Board may be members of one of its standing committees - the Committee on Academic Policy and Program or the Planning and Budget Committee.

(See for information about all Governing Council Boards and Committees.)

If your question was not answered here, please send it to