UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO COLLEGE OF ELECTORS
Minutes of the College of Electors meeting held on Tuesday, November 12, 2019 at 5:00 p.m. in the Council Chamber, Simcoe Hall.
Corwin Cambray, (UTAA) (Chair), Maureen L. Simpson (Trinity College) (Vice-Chair), Mary Pat Armstrong (Nursing), Neville Austin (Faculty of Music), Manny Bettencourt (UTM), Leslie A. Boehm (DLSPH), Keith Chen (UTSC), Taleen Chouljian (Rotman), Daniel J. Correia, Demetra Dimokopoulos (UTM), Jennifer Dolman (University College), Cynthia Elson (Victoria College), Beverley Giblon (Physical Therapy), Chris Girard (University College), Dr. Leonard Grbac (Medicine), Doris Kalamut (Pharmacy), Sean Kiefte (Woodsworth), Eve Leung (Information), Paul Lindblad (New College), Dr. Sofya Malik (OISE), Amy Matchen (University College), Victoria McNally (St. Michael's), Judy Newman (Social Work), Nikoletta Papadopoulos (OISE), David F. Poirier (Engineering), Larissa Rodo (Engineering), Dorinda So (UTSC), Mark Surchin (Law), Stephen Tardif (St. Michael’s College), Harlan E. Tufford (Woodsworth College), Emily VanBerkum (St. Michael's), Theresa Wright (Innis College)
Sheree Drummond (Secretary of the Governing Council) Patrick McNeill (Secretary)
Jehane Adam (New College), Judy Beamish (Medicine), Josephine L. Comegna (Victoria College), Imre Gams (UTM), Paul Haynes (Victoria College), Nancy E. Hill (Engineering), Joel Leon (Architecture), Rachele Levin (Forestry), Lesley Pollard (Dentistry), Julia Prato (UTSC), Dr. Cindy Sinclair (OISE), Sitharsana Srithas (UTSC), Michael Stargiannis (Engineering), Matthew Stodolak (OISE)
Claire Kennedy (Chair of the Governing Council), Professor Meric Gertler (President, University of Toronto), Sana Halwani (Vice-President, University of Toronto Alumni Association)
1. Chair’s Remarks
The Chair welcomed members to the meeting. The Chair also welcomed Ms Claire Kennedy, Chair of the Governing Council, President Meric Gertler, and Ms Sana Halwani, Vice-President, University of Toronto Alumni Association, who had joined the meeting, specifically to address the College on the attributes and requirements for alumni governors for 2020; and Ms Sheree Drummond, Secretary of the Governing Council.
The College moved In Camera.
2. Attributes and Requirements for Alumni Governors 2020
The Chair noted that three seats would need to be filled as of June 30, 2020. He reported that as part of a preliminary discussion of the attributes and also on the requirements most in need for 2020, the Chair of the Governing Council, the President and UTAA President had met with the COE Executive Committee on Monday, October 28th.
The College received comments from the Chair of the Governing Council, the Vice-President and UTAA President.
Following an extensive discussion by Members, it was agreed that the following attributes would be highlighted in the 2020 Call for Nominations for Alumni Governors and there is a particular interest in recruiting alumni who:
- Are engaging and persuasive communicators;
- Are highly creative, strategic and critical thinkers, who engage with emerging ideas and technologies to reimagine the University of the future;
- Have governance experience particularly in a leadership role and consensus-building skills;
- Have a general knowledge of and experience in one or more areas important to the University (for example: real estate and asset management, entrepreneurship, innovation, risk management (including cyber & reputational), financial and investment management);
- Are energetic and can act as dedicated advocates for post-secondary education on behalf of the University;
- Have capacity to master the complexity of the University, and its evolution as a preeminent teaching and research institution;
- Are an active volunteer within the University and have a strong community presence and networks;
- Have international experience and/or exposure;
- Have an affinity for mentorship and willing to act as an inspirational role model; and
- Have an interest in shaping and guiding the changing student experience including promoting student success and wellness.
3. Alumni Governor Election Process
Members discussed the Alumni Governor election process and reviewed the draft 2020 Alumni Governor Nomination Form that contained minor revisions from the previous year.
The COE Secretary presented the tool kit for members and reviewed the communications plan, which would be implemented with the assistance of the Division of University Advancement to promote the call for nominations for three alumni members of Governing Council,
College Members were asked to contact their respective university alumni affairs representatives to discuss further dissemination of the Call for Nominations – the Secretary would provide the necessary contact and draft content to Members.
4. Election of the 2019-20 Nominating Committee for Alumni Governors
Demetra Dimokopoulos (UTM), Jennifer Dolman (University College) and Mark Surchin (Law) were elected to the 2019-2020 Nominating Committee for Alumni Governors (NC-AG) of the College of Electors.
The College returned to open session.
5. Minutes of the Previous Meeting – September 24, 2019.
The minutes of the meeting of September 24, 2019 were approved.
6. Business Arising from the Minutes of the Previous Meeting
There was no business arising from the minutes of the previous meeting.
7. Date of Next Meeting
The Chair reminded members that the next meeting would be held on Wednesday, January 22, 2020 from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m.
8. Other Business
Members discussed upcoming events that were scheduled by various Alumni Associations. The Secretary would circulate an email with the listed events.
The meeting adjourned at 7:05 p.m.