- Academic Appeals
Academic Discipline & Academic Discipline Appeals
- Academic Discipline
- Academic Discipline Appeals
Non-Academic Discipline & Non-Academic Discipline Appeals
- Non-Academic Discipline
- Non-Academic Discipline Appeals
- Sexual Violence & Sexual Harassment
- University-Mandated Leave Policy
- Complaint and Resolution Council for Student Societies (CRCSS)
- Advancement Review Panel - CUPE 3902 Unit 3
- Clinical Faculty Academic Clinical Tribunal
- Clinical Faculty Grievance Review Panel
- UTFA Tenure Appeals
- UTFA Grievances
- UTFA Workload Adjudication
University Tenure Appeal Committee Mandate:
The University Tenure Appeal Committee (UTAC) hears appeals against denial of tenure.
UTAC's membership and procedures are governed by sections 22, 23, and 24 of the Policy and Procedures on Academic Appointments.
In adjudicating tenure appeals, UTAC has two options available to it, and its decision concerning these two options is final. It may:
- Dismiss the appeal; or
- If it finds that any of the appeal grounds are substantiated, remit the case to a second tenure committee to be set up by the President for consideration of the question of tenure.
UTAC is composed of a Chair and a Vice-Chair and at least 14 members, all of whom are appointed by the President of the University after consultation with the University of Toronto Faculty Association. By agreement with UTFA the panel of UTAC members was increased from 8 to 14 plus a Chair and Vice-Chair in 2010. Members are appointed for two-year terms, with half of the membership completing their terms each year.
Drawing from the pool of members, a hearing panel is formed to adjudicate an appeal. Each panel is composed of the Chair, plus four members.
A faculty member who has been denied tenure should contact the University of Toronto Faculty Association (UTFA) for advice.
University Tenure Appeal committee members
|Prof. Steven F. Bernstein (Vice Chair)||UTM – Dept. of Political Science|
process specific resources
representation or support
Important Contact Information:
720 Spadina Avenue, Suite #419
Toronto, ON M5S 2T9
Professor Heather Boon, Vice-Provost, Faculty & Academic Life
McMurrich Building, Room 103
12 Queen's Park Crescent West
Toronto, ON M5S 1S8