REPORT NUMBER 92 OF THE ELECTIONS COMMITTEE
November 25, 2021
To the Executive Committee,
University of Toronto.
Your Committee reports that it held a virtual meeting on Thursday, November 25, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. with the following members present:
Mark Lautens (Chair), Vikram Chadalawada, David Bowden, Joanne McNamara, Kenneth Williams
Timothy Harlick, Secretary, Anwar Kazimi, Deputy Secretary of the Governing Council and Chief Returning Officer, Cindy Ferencz-Hammond, Assistant Secretary of the Governing Council and Deputy Returning Officer, UTM, Emma Thacker, Assistant Secretary of the Governing Council and Deputy Returning Officer, UTSC
The Chair welcomed members and guests to the meeting.
- Election Guidelines 2022
The Chair invited Mr. Kazimi, Deputy Secretary of the Governing Council and Chief Returning Officer to provide a brief overview of the proposed revisions to the Election Guidelines 2022.
Mr. Kazimi summarized the proposed revisions and drew members’ attention to the newly added language on equity, diversity, and inclusion found in section 1. He advised that the proposed language addressed recommendations from the report of the President’s Anti-Black Racism Taskforce and was drafted in consultation with Professor Kelly Hannah-Moffat, Vice-President, People Strategy, Equity and Culture and Karima Hashmani, Director of Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion. Mr. Kazimi also noted that the proposed EDI language would be included in calls for nomination in the upcoming elections.
In response to members’ questions, Mr. Kazimi reported the following:
- The proposed language was in line with a continued commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion in governance at the University;
- It was noted that consistent language would be incorporated as appropriate across the University for various undertakings;
- The proposed language would broaden outreach during calls for nomination and benefit the overall election process
- Information sessions had been held for those interested in becoming a candidate in the upcoming elections; and
- The University would use the uElect platform for the upcoming elections as the purchase of a new election platform had not yet been completed.
On motion duly made, seconded and carried
It was Resolved
THAT the proposed Election Guidelines 2022 be approved, effective January 1, 2021.
- Report of the Previous Meeting - Report Number 91, October 14, 2021
The report of the previous meeting was approved.
- Business Arising from the Report of the Previous Meeting
There was no business arising from the report of the previous meeting.
- Date of Next Meeting: June 2, 2022, 5:00 - 7:00 p.m.
The Chair confirmed that the next meeting would be held on June 2, 2022 at 5:00 p.m.
- Other Business
There was no other business.
The meeting adjourned at 5:32 p.m.
December 2, 2021