The sanctions listed below are found in the Code of Behaviour on Academic Matters, Section C.i.(b) "Divisional Sanctions"
Divisional Sanctions (Penalties)
One or more of the following sanctions may be imposed by the Dean where a student admits to the commission of an alleged offence:
- (a) an oral and/or written reprimand;
- (b) an oral and/or written reprimand and, with the permission of the instructor, the resubmission of the piece of academic work in respect of which the offence was committed, for evaluation. Such a sanction shall be imposed only for minor offences and where the student has committed no previous offence;
- (c) assignment of a grade of zero or a failure for the piece of academic work in respect of which the offence was committed;
- (d) assignment of a penalty in the form of a reduction of the final grade in the course in respect of which the offence was committed;
- (e) denial of privileges to use any facility of the University, including library and computer facilities;
- (f) a monetary fine to cover the costs of replacing damaged property or misused supplies in respect of which the offence was committed;
- (g) assignment of a grade of zero or a failure for the course in respect of which the offence was committed;
- (h) suspension from attendance in a course or courses, a program, an academic division or unit, or the University for a period of not more than twelve months. Where a student has not completed a course or courses in respect of which an offence has not been committed, withdrawal from the course or courses without academic penalty shall be allowed.
Recording on Academic Transcript
The Dean shall have the power to record any sanction imposed on the Student's academic record and transcript for such length of time as he or she considers appropriate. However, the sanctions of suspension or a notation specifying academic misconduct as the reason for a grade of zero for a course shall normally be recorded for a period of five years.
The Provost shall, from time to time, indicate appropriate sanctions for certain offences. These guidelines shall be sent for information to the Academic Board and attached to the Code as Appendix "C".