General Resources

Many offices in the University offer services that may be of assistance, depending on the nature of your concern.

There is also normally an established process for resolving most complaints which you must follow before contacting the Ombuds Office.

If after reviewing this list you are still uncertain about where to go, have been unable to get the help you need by contacting these resources or following their processes please contact us.

Raising concerns and/or complaining effectively is an important skill. Below are some documents that aim to help you learn how to make an effective complaint.


For information about applying to the U of T, or questions or concerns about your application, please visit Enrolment Services.

Information about the status of applications can be found at JOIN U Of T, the University’s Online Undergraduate Applicant Community.


Information about graduate applications is available from the School of Graduate Studies (SGS).

Information about the status of your application can be found in the On-line-Applications system.

Questions about the on-line application process? See Frequently Asked Questions:

Questions or concerns about the handling of your application should be directed to the graduate unit (department, centre, or institute) to which you applied.

The Code of Behaviour on Academic Matters is the University’s policy governing academic behavior. See Academic Integrity for additional information on expectations for academic conduct and the procedures that apply if a student is suspected of having committed an offence under the Code.

Downtown Legal Services is a free legal service offered by students from the Faculty of Law whose work is overseen by qualified lawyers. The clinic has limited resources so they cannot take every case, but they are familiar with the University's various appeal, grievance and tribunal processes.

D.L.S. provides an array of legal services, including advice and representation before courts and tribunals, in five general areas of practice:

Criminal Law – summary conviction offences (such as theft, assault, mischief, causing disturbance, threatening, drug charges).

Employment Law – job loss, unfair treatment at work, problems with employer.

Family Law – child custody, spousal and child support, restraining orders.

Refugee Law – claimants must be referred by a refugee organization.

Tenant Housing – for tenants only (evictions, repair applications, illegal rent increases).

University Affairs – academic appeals and offences within the University.

D.L.S. also provides other legal services such as commissioning affidavits and notarizing documents for a wide variety of purposes.

The Code of Student Conduct is the University’s policy governing non-academic conduct. It defines offences and the processes for resolving them. See The Students Companion to the Student Code of Conduct for more information.

If you are concerned that your privacy has been violated by a member of the University community, learn more about your rights and what process are available to you in the Statement Regarding access to Information and Protections of Privacy.

For advice relating to your personal safety, contact the Community Safety Office. The CSO works in partnership with other university resources to ensure personal safety on our campuses.

You may also find information of interest at University of Toronto Student Life-Be Safe.

For concerns about environmental health or safety contact the Environmental Health and Safety Department.