If you have a concern about safety:
In an emergency
- If you need immediate police, fire, or medical response to preserve life or property, call 911 or from an internal phone line dial 9-911.
- To ensure rapid response, call the emergency number for University Police on your campus after you have called 911.
University Police provide 24-hour service on all three campuses.
St. George: 416-978-2222 (emergency); 416-978-2323 (general inquiry)
UTM: 905-569-4333 (emergency); 905-828-5200 (general inquiry)
UTSC: 416-287-7333 (emergency); 416-287-7398 (general inquiry)
If you need advice relating to your personal safety
The Community Safety Office (416-978-1485) works in partnership with other university resources to ensure personal safety on our campuses. Its programs include:
- Support information and referral for victims of violence, harassment and threats
- Training sessions on dealing with difficult behaviour, criminal harassment, non-violent crisis intervention, personal safety on campus
- Campus safety audits and improvements to physical environments
- Co-ordination of self-defence workshops.
You may also find information of interest at University of Toronto Student Life-Be Safe.
If you have a concern about environmental health or safety
The Environmental Health and Safety Department (416-978-4467) works to ensure that the University provides an environmentally responsible, safe, and healthy place for work, research and study. The Department is proactive in identifying risks and emerging issues and in developing and implementing processes to manage them, including training and awareness, teaching, provision of expert advice, emergency response and assurance.
If you have been unable to get your concerns about safety addressed through any of these offices, or if you wish to discuss your concerns with us before deciding who to approach for help, please contact us.