Milestones and Significant Events
- 1974 - Mr. John H. Parker (Administrative Staff Member of Governing Council) recommended to the Governing Council, the exploration of an Ombuds appointment.
- 1975 - The Office of the Ombudsperson, University of Toronto, was first established at 16 Hart House Circle.
- 1983 - Liz Hoffman becomes founding member of ACCUO (Association of Canadian College and University Ombudspersons).
- 1990 - On February 13, 1990, the University Affairs Board approved the title change from Ombudsman to Ombudsperson.
- 1998 - The Office moved to 222 College Street, located inside the Fields Institute for Research in Mathematical Sciences.
- 2001 - Liz Hoffman wins ‘Distinguished Service Award’ from the ACCUO.
- 2003 - UTSC names 'Joan Foley Hall,' a student residence, in Joan Foley’s honour.
- 2008 - The Office moved to the first floor of the McMurrich Building, 12 Queen’s Park Crescent West.
- 2018 - The Office becomes ‘tri-campus’ with an Ombuds Officer appointed on each campus.
- 2025 - 50th Anniversary of the Office of the Ombudsperson, University of Toronto.
Ombuds Appointments Timeline (PDF)
The Governing Council has appointed the following persons to serve:
- Professor Eric A. McKee, Ombudsman (1975-1981)
- Ms Liz Hoffman, Ombudsman / Ombudsperson (1981-1995; 1995-1998) *
- Ms Irene Birrell, Acting Ombudsperson (1997-1998)
- Ms Mary Ward, Ombudsperson (1998-2001; 2001-2006)
- Professor Ian McDonald, Interim Ombudsperson (2006-2007)
- Professor Emeritus Joan Foley, Ombudsperson (2007-2010; 2010-2013; 2013-2015)
- Professor Emeritus Ellen Hodnett, Ombudsperson (2015-2018; 2018-2019; 2019-2021)
- Professor Emeritus Bruce Kidd, Ombudsperson (2021 - )
* Liz Hoffman was appointed Ryerson University's inaugural Ombudsperson in 1997, although remained on contract to support the U of T Ombudsperson Office until 1998.